The Czech Republic as well as many neighbouring countries have slowly started to ease lockdown measures that restricted businesses including large events, in particular exhibitions and trade shows. The current pace of easing does not seem to accounts for events with above 10 thousand visitors, similarly, the borders are not yet fully open. We are not able to confirm what social distancing measures would need to be put in place in the premises PPM utilizes, i.e. wider corridors would result in les space for quilts as well as retailers. It is impossible to commence preparations for such a big event until there is absolute clarity about what the conditions will be.
The show had to be cancelled three weeks before taking place due to the pandemic "vis major", resulting in PPM having to refund 100% of all fees, rentals and prepayments, leaving the company fully exposed to all operational expenses for the year. We cannot expect any sort of compensation and need to carefully assess any investments in the next year´s event once the conditions are known. We have to keep in mind a potential second peak in autumn resulting in further and long term restrictions. While it is possible to slightly shorten timings for competition announcements, contracting exhibitors and securing retailers, delaying start of the preparations by further than 3 months while ensuring high quality of the show is not possible. We will continue to carefully monitor and evaluate the situation as well as willingness of foreign visitors to travel and participate in large events abroad. We will make a final decision as to if PPM 2021 is realistic and safe for all parties by September 2020.